Decred Journal - May 2018
dcrd: Significant optimization in signature hash calculation, bloom filters support was removed, 2x faster startup thanks to in-memory full block index, multipeer work advancing, stronger protection against majority hashpower attacks. Additionally, code refactoring and cleanup, code and test infrastructure improvements.
Politeia: new command line tool to interact with Politeia API, general development is ongoing. Help with testing will soon be welcome: this issue sets out a test plan, join #politeia to follow progress and participate in testing.
Ticket splitting service by @matheusd entered beta and demonstrated an 11-way split on mainnet. Help with testing is much appreciated, please join #ticket_splitting to participate in splits, but check this doc to learn about the risks. Reddit discussion here.
Decred is now supported by Riemann, a toolbox from James Prestwich to construct transactions for many UTXO-based chains from human-readable strings.
Atomic swap with Ethereum on testnet was demonstrated at Blockspot Conference LATAM.
Dev activity stats for May: 238 active PRs, 195 master commits, 32,831 added and 22,280 deleted lines spread across 8 repositories. Contributions came from 4-10 developers per repository. (chart)
Hashrate: rapid growth from ~4,000 TH/s at the beginning of the month to ~15,000 at the end with new all time high of 17,949. Interesting dynamic in hashrate distribution across mining pools: coinmine.pl share went down from 55% to 25% while F2Pool up from 2% to 44%. [Note: as of June 6, the hashrate continues to rise and has already passed 22,000 TH/s]
Staking: 30-day average ticket price is 91.3 DCR (+0.8), stake participation is 46.9% (+0.8%) with 3.68 million DCR locked (+0.15). Min price was 85.56. On May 11 ticket price surged to 96.99, staying elevated for longer than usual after such a pump. Locked DCR peaked at 47.17%. jet_user on reddit suggested that the DCR for these tickets likely came from a miner with significant hashrate.
Nodes: there are 226 public listening and 405 normal nodes per dcred.eu. Version distribution: 45% on v1.2.0 (up from 24% last month), 39% on v1.1.2, 15% on v1.1.0 and 1% running outdaded versions.
Obelisk team posted an update. Current hashrate estimate of DCR1 is 1200 GH/s at 500 W and may still change. The chips came back at 40% the speed of the simulated results, it is still unknown why. Batch 1 units may get delayed 1-2 weeks past June 30. See discussions on r/decred and on r/siacoin.
A new Chinese miner for pre-order was noticed by our Telegram group. Woodpecker WB2 specs 1.5 TH/s at 1200 W, costs 15,000 CNY (~2,340 USD) and the initial 150 units are expected to ship on Aug 15. (pow8.com ? translated)
- Upbit added DCR/KRW and DCR/USDT pairs. A user reported that DCR deposits and withdrawals are now available.
- CoinEx announced the launch of DCR/BTC and DCR/BCH pairs.
- Bleutrade added DCR/USDT pair. Note their reply to our tweet. It was the first exchange to list Decred minutes after launch.
- Brazilian exchange OmniTrade added DCR/BRL fiat pair following a poll. Worth noting that it is one of the first to integrate Trezor sign-in.
- Bittrex added DCR/USDT pair. Withdrawal fee was lowered to 0.01 DCR per user's report.
- Cryptopia enabled DCR/USDT pair too.
- There are reports that DCR was added to Abucoins and Tor Exchange but we don't know much about them.
- FastTech, a gadgets and electronics shop, accepts Decred and offers a discount code.
- pepper.works allows one to shop on Amazon with crypto and also offers a discount.
- Hipptee is a t-shirt shop and one of the first merchants to utilize the new Shopify integration, accepts Decred. Of course it has Decred t-shirts, too.
- TokenPride, a shop offering some unique crypto-themed products.
- cryptograffiti integrated CoinPayments and now accepts DCR for its crypto art merch.
An update from VotoLegal:
Blockfolio rolled out Signal Beta with Decred in the list. Users who own or watch a coin will automatically receive updates pushed by project teams. Nice to see this Journal made it to the screenshot!
Placeholder Ventures announced that Decred is their first public investment. Their Investment Thesis is a clear and well researched overview of Decred. Among other great points it noted the less obvious benefit of not doing an ICO:
By choosing not to pre-sell coins to speculators, the financial rewards from Decred?s growth most favor those who work for the network.
"I own DECRED because I saw a YouTube video with DECRED Jesus and after seeing it I was sold."
May targeted advertising report released. Reach @timhebel for full version.
PiedPiperCoin hired our advisors.
Reminder: Stakey has his own Twitter account where he tweets about his antics and pours scorn on the holders of expired tickets.
"Autonomy" coin sculpture is available at sigmasixdesign.com.
Austin Hispanic Hackers Meetup in Austin, USA.
Consensus 2018 in New York, USA. See videos in the Media section. Select photos: booth, escort, crew, moon boots, giant stakey. Many other photos and mentions were posted on Twitter. One tweet summarized Decred pretty well:
One project that stands out at #Consensus2018 is @decredproject. Not annoying. Real tech. Humble team. #BUIDL is strong with them. (@PallerJohn)
Second Decred meetup in Hangzhou, China. (photos)
- Decred Australia Meetup in Melbourne, Australia on June 12. Organized by YBF Ventures, all backgrounds are welcome.
- Brazil: meetup in Brasilia on June 13, meetup in Belo Horizonte on June 16 and Campus Party Brasilia on June 27.
- O'Reilly Open Source Convention in Portland, USA on July 18-19. Unlike many "regular" events this one is developer focused. @raedah's team will attend.
- If you are interested in Decred event in San Francisco Bay Area please check this thread.
- Team Spotlight: Decred, Pedal Steel Guitar, and Thoughts on Bitcoin From an Exodus Developer (medium.com, missed in April issue)
- Decred: A Cryptocurrency That Combines PoW, PoS (investopedia.com, translated to Spanish and Russian)
- Decred Price Booms on Consensus 2018 Publicity (cryptovest.com)
- Decred Leads By Example With Fair Governance (cryptodaily.co.uk)
- Graph showing your ticket's chance to vote on any given day (twitter)
- Decred: More Steps to Fame, as Price Shoots Above $110 (cryptovest.com)
- Sole Survivor: Decred Unaffected in Latest Market Downturn (cryptovest.com)
- Placeholder VC Puts Money on Decred to Rival Bitcoin (btcmanager.com)
- Decred Is The Most Undervalued Cryptocurrency With A 15% Dividend-Like Yield, Possibly The Next Bitcoin (seekingalpha.com)
- Decred Coin News: What makes Decred coin price to go over $100? (theoofy.com)
- Asian Cryptocurrency Trading Update: Only Decred Showing a Gain (newsbtc.com)
- Why Decred? Let the community tell you! by Noah Pierau (medium.com)
- A post by @DecredKing arguing being first in crypto is not enough (medium.com)
- Why Decred is the new Bitcoin (globalcoinreport.com)
- The Long-Term Bullish Case for Decred by Ben Davidow (medium.com)
- Hardware Companies Are Launching Dedicated ASIC Miners for Decred (btcmanager.com)
- Iterative Capital partner Chris Dannen and journalist Ben Schiller speak with Marco and Jonathan from Decred at Consensus 2018 (soundcloud)
- Decred Review: What is DCR, the Decred Community & Possible Challenges by BitBoy Crypto (youtube)
- Decred Founder: Bitcoin Paved Way, Phase 2 Will Shock You! (Marco Peereboom) by Pure Blockchain Wealth (youtube)
- Decred & Blocknet: Revolutionary governance for every community feat. JZ at Consensus 2018 (youtube)
- Decred coin - Will it be better than Bitcoin? by Bitassist (youtube)
Community stats: Twitter 39,118 (+742), Reddit 8,167 (+277), Slack 5,658 (+160). Difference is between May 5 and May 31.
Reddit highlights: transparent up/down voting on Politeia, combining LN and atomic swaps, minimum viable superorganism, the controversial debate on Decred contractor model (people wondered about true motives behind the thread), tx size and fees discussion, hard moderation case, impact of ASICs on price, another "Why Decred?" thread with another excellent pitch by solar, fee analysis showing how ticket price algorithm change was controversial with ~100x cut in miner profits, impact of ticket splitting on ticket price, recommendations on promoting Decred, security against double spends and custom voting policies.
@R3VoLuT1OneR posted a preview of a proposal from his company for Decred to offer scholarships for students.
r/dcrtrader gained a couple of new moderators, weekly automatic threads were reconfigured to monthly and empty threads were removed. Currently most trading talk happens on #trading and some leaks to r/decred. A separate trading sub offers some advantages: unlimited trading talk, broad range of allowed topics, free speech and transparent moderation, in addition to standard reddit threaded discussion, permanent history and search.
Forum: potential social attacks on Decred.
Slack: the #governance channel created last month has seen many intelligent conversations on topics including: finite attention of decision makers, why stakeholders can make good decisions (opposed to a common narrative than only developers are capable of making good decisions), proposal funding and contractor pre-qualification, Cardano and Dash treasuries, quadratic voting, equality of outcome vs equality of opportunity, and much more.
One particularly important issue being discussed is the growing number of posts arguing that on-chain governance and coin voting is bad. Just a few examples from Twitter: Decred is solving an imagined problem (decent response by @jm_buirski), we convince ourselves that we need governance and ticket price algo vote was not controversial, on-chain governance hurts node operators and it is too early for it, it robs node operators of their role, crypto risks being captured by the wealthy, it is a huge threat to the whole public blockchain space, coin holders should not own the blockchain.
The month of May has seen Decred earn some much deserved attention in the markets. DCR started the month around 0.009 BTC and finished around 0.0125 with interim high of 0.0165 on Bittrex. In USD terms it started around $81 and finished around $92, temporarily rising to $118. During a period in which most altcoins suffered, Decred has performed well; rising from rank #45 to #30 on Coinmarketcap.
The addition of a much awaited KRW pair on Upbit saw the price briefly double on some exchanges. This pair opens up direct DCR to fiat trading in one of the largest cryptocurrency markets in the world.
An update from @i2Rav:
We have begun trading DCR in large volume daily. The interest around DCR has really started to grow in terms of OTC quote requests. More and more customers are asking about trading it.
Like in previous month, Decred scores high by "% down from ATH" indicator being #2 on onchainfx as of June 6.
Three pure PoW coins were attacked this month, one attempting to be ASIC resistant. This shows the importance of Decred's PoS layer that exerts control over miners and allows Decred to welcome ASIC miners for more PoW security without sacrificing sovereignty to them.
Poloniex announced lower trading fees.
Bittrex plans to offer USD trading pairs.
@sumiflow made good progress on correcting Decred market cap on several sites:
speaking of market cap, I got it corrected on coingecko, cryptocompare, and worldcoinindex
onchainfx, livecoinwatch, and cryptoindex.co said they would update it about a month ago but haven't yet
I messaged coinlib.io today but haven't got a response yet
coinmarketcap refused to correct it until they can verify certain funds have moved from dev wallets which is most likely forever unknowable (slack)
About This Issue
Some source links point to Slack messages. Although Slack hides history older than ~5 days, you can read individual messages if you paste the message link into chat with yourself. Digging the full conversation is hard but possible. The history of all channels bridged to Matrix is saved in Matrix. Therefore it is possible to dig history in Matrix if you know the timestamp of the first message. Slack links encode the timestamp:
Most information from third parties is relayed directly from source after a minimal sanity check. The authors of Decred Journal have no ability to verify all claims. Please beware of scams and do your own research.
Credits (Slack names, alphabetical order): bee, Richard-Red, snr01 and solar.